Borough Market

London, U.K.



London is one of my favourite cities in the world, I have visited many times over the years. What I really love about it is that, regardless of how many times I visit, there is always somewhere new to explore. On my last trip I went and had a look at the Borough Market. I was going to The Shard for afternoon tea in one of the restaurants there and noticed that the market was nearby. I thought it might be an interesting place to stroll around in. First impression was that it was enormous and the area was hugely popular! There were crowds of people either in the market or in the cafes and pubs opposite.



The market is one of the oldest and largest food markets in London, it was first mentioned historically in 1276 but there are claims the market is even older. It's both a retail and wholesale market, the wholesale market is open 2am to 8am and the retail Wednesday to Saturday 10am to either 5 or 6pm, depending on the day. I was there on a Friday so saw the market in fullswing.

In recent years the retail part of the market is known more for its food specialities. 








The present buildings date from the mid 1800s and were refurbished in the early 2000s.





There's a cafe in the market that looks down on all the activity.



The South Portico, it was only when I read up on the market that I discovered that this portico had been moved from its original location at Covent Gardens. It was dismantled when the Royal Opera House was reconstructed in the 1990s, the portico was restored and re-erected in 2004 at the Borough Market. So a nice bit of repurposing of a piece of historic architecture.

The Borough Market was a great little discovery and next visit I'll make more time to spend there and enjoy the food it has to offer.

Comments