Iconic!

On a visit to Sydney it's not possible to get a more iconic picture, the Opera House and the Harbour Bridge. And judging by the amount of people at this scenic lookout on Mrs Macquarie's Point (When did she stop being Lady Macquarie, I'm sure I used to know her name as that? Hmm) every tourist and their selfie stick was making sure they got their iconic picture. Me too! No selfie stick though.

When visiting a new or familiar place as a tourist I like to walk, it just makes me feel as though I'm part of a place. I like being able to be immersed in the sounds, the smells (not often pleasant!) and the sights of where ever in the world I am. 

I managed to meander to the main entrance of the Royal Botanic Gardens, and then strolled through the gardens heading in the direction of Mrs Macquarie's point. (I wanted my iconic picture!) Slightly round the corner is the sandstone carved bench that is called Mrs Macquarie's chair.

Trivia Alert!
 The story around it, is that Elizabeth the wife of Governor Macquarie used to like to sit at that point and watch the ships come in from Great Britain. The bench was hand carved by convicts in 1810. 

There are other (wooden) benches to sit at and have a reflective pause, look across to Garden Island which is the Royal Australian Naval Base and just people watch for a while. 

Then time to move again and I decided to walk along the water's edge, the area that is known as Farm Cove as it was the site of the first farm in Australia established by Governor Philip in 1788. (Not a great success of a farm, the soil was poor and the young colony almost starved waiting for the next supply ships!)


Farm Cove


Royal Botanic Gardens


Walking around the full length of Farm Cove brings you to the steps of the Opera House. (And more selfie sticks!)

Comments